Monday 20 August 2012

WINSTON ON THE RUN – Fol Espoir, Pleasance Courtyard

We entered a dark, foreboding, theatre space and apart from the odd flash of light and spotlight it remained dark.
Based on the days of Winston Churchill before his political career got truly started and set in a mine in the African Savannah during the Boer War, it was an interesting look at young Churchill.  How factual it was I don’t know but it certainly intrigued me to increase my rather thin and GCSE based knowledge of the man. Well acted, and at times, powerfully so it was a rather intense hour where my concentration waned at times, particularly when the speaking tone was so low that I could not make out what was being said above the whirr of the air conditioning.
It might get some takers in the rural touring network though I think it might be more suitable in theatres than village halls where the ‘toilet in a bucket’ scene mightn’t go down too well.

No comments:

Post a Comment