Tuesday 21 August 2012

'The Age of the Geek', Hayden Cohen, The Space at Surgeon's Hall, Thurs 16th Aug 12, Review by Rosie Cross, Highlights

Review
Hayden Cohen’s technological geeky secrets in words and music.  This talented word-smith often half poking fun at himself and other technological geeks.  The music was  basic (may be this was a conscious statement to counterbalance the technological know –how) , tho’ often with clever and funny lyrics (I loved the Geek’s’ anthem – in binary!) The poetry was much more sophisticated.   There was a lovely sequence on a stylophone.  I don’t think I got half of the musical references.  They were probably electronic game tunes and riffs – seemed to cause chuckles amongst some of the audience.    I think I’m about Level 3 in geeky-ness (Hayden’s a professed Level 25!)  Great to see the majority of the audience between the ages of 14 – 28. 

Why is the work suitable or not suitable / ready for rural touring ?
It depends whether a Rural Touring scheme has got a dedicated 14 – 28 year  old audience base.  Maybe if Hayden were to do workshops in advance it would encourage young people  to come along.
Why would you book them ?  or  Why wouldn’t you book them ?
A tricky one, because 14 – 28 year olds is very often a gap in the Rural touring audience, so aught to be a target.   Would be fine for Festivals etc, but I feel that many Schemes may struggle to sell the show to their rural promoters.
Why would it be worth pursuing this company to consider work in the future? Or not  ?
I don’t think we’d have enough interest to pursue the show. 

Any other comments
I had a word with Hayden.  He’s hoping to take the show further, depending on interest shown, but I fear it won’t come from traditional Rural Touring schemes  – however see my comment on workshops above).   Maybe if the subject matter was a bit ‘wider’ and didn’t depend on  people  understanding all the geeky references….   

No comments:

Post a Comment