Tuesday 28 August 2012

Bane 1

I think it was Bane 1, but that wasn't made quite clear.  There are Banes 2 and 3 and I overheard an audience member extolling the virtues of them on the way out, so, cleverly, the management have induced audience brand loyalty and given them the sequels straightaway thus tripling the profits.  To be admired!
Seems to have acquired a bit of a cult following at Edinburgh.  Brilliant vocal skills, although I felt for the actor in his chosen costume of a thick overcoat, he was sweating profusely from the word go, which always makes me feel uncomfortable, and if an audience is uncomfortable, they are less likely to relax and enjoy themselves. ( I would have put him in a lighter mack which might have been more in keeping with the private dick idea and certainly less sweat provoking.)
 However, relax and enjoy themselves they certainly did.  I had heard so much good about this show that it was almost bound to be an anti climax I am afraid.  Yes, it was entertaining, yes it was brilliantly performed - although the guitar accompaniment could have been a sound track as far as I was concerned, the musician did not interact much if at all with the action but kept his head down throughout.  Perhaps I was getting fringe burnout but I wasn't as impressed as I expected to be.
I understand the company are interested in rural touring as they have already contacted NRTF, however, for me there was something a little studenty and culty about the humour and I am not utterly convinced it would go on rural touring.  I am probably in the minority though and would be interested to see how it plays.
Review by Gill Vickers

No comments:

Post a Comment