Tuesday 21 August 2012

Shams Theatre 'Thin Ice' Pleasance Courtyard, Fri 17 Aug 12, Review by Rosie Cross, Highlights

Review
I was totally immersed in the story.  It was a welcome piece of full length (1.5 hours) serious theatre.  A well acted, gripping thriller of a story, skilfully drip-fed to the audience.  (See Jen Henry’s review on this blog for a synopsis or the story).    I would  have described it as straight drama rather than Physical theatre,( as detailed  in the programme).  The projected images worked well.  The Innuit dialogue / translations were often funny, often tragic.  And sometimes tragically funny.  As I said in my tweet: ‘like finding a really good book’


Why is the work suitable or not suitable/ready for rural touring ?
Probably not, because of the technical requirements.   I would think there would be quite lengthy get in and get out times
Why would you book them ?  or  Why wouldn’t you book them ?
If they were up for rural touring I’d book them, but I have the feeling that the show is designed for black box theatre spaces.
Why would it be worth pursuing this company to consider work in the future? Or not  ?
I would say probably not, but I think Jen has said she’ll pursue them.   Will look forward  to hearing what the response is…..


No comments:

Post a Comment