Tuesday 28 August 2012

Duality by Pair Dance

A contemporary dance and multimedia performance complete with 3 D specs. According to the programme it is an abstract representation of how technology shapes us.  Well executed dance piece by a troupe of young dancers, mixed with a different troupe of dancers on the screen.  Technically it was very well performed, but I found that artistically there was little or no theme to latch onto. (I only had possession of the programme after the event, sadly!)
The first of the three pieces was a live contemporary piece with projected backdrop, the second a mock battle between a male and female, the third was the 3D projected piece which interacted (very little) with live performers on stage.  I would have liked to see more interaction between the projected and live performers.  This could have been very exciting but finished up for me being a little lame.  Also I found the soundtrack loud, irritating and repetitive at times.   Two groups of people left before the end, which gives some indication that the audience were less than enthralled.
Some interesting ideas were developed and visually it was extremely watchable but for me it was very distant from the audience and not very engaging, and I am not sure this would play well in a rural touring context. 
Review by Gill Vickers

No comments:

Post a Comment