Tuesday 28 August 2012

Age of the Geek

One man, one guitar, one decent singing voice, and one huge obsession with being a geek.  Geekery or geekdom is not a subject that normally exercises my mind for more than a millisecond as geeks are by their very nature not usually very interesting and I would not have thought it could stretch to an hour long show.  Using spoken word, song and surprisingly few geeky props, (considering the subject matter) our geeky hero entertained us with variations on the theme of geekery.  Some of the audience seemed to get it, others didn't (myself included) .  Quirky and well meaning, but very much a niche market, I would have thought.  Part of the problem for me that the actor was not quite geeky enough and therefore difficult to identify with.  Had he been more extreme, the effect might have been more pronounced, but he seemed for me to fall between two stools, trying to make a hero out of an anti-hero with neither state being entirely convincing.
Obviously interested in rural touring as he attended our rural touring briefing session at Fringe Central and had approached us to come along and see his show.  I am not convinced that there is enough appeal in this particular show for a rural touring audience, but wouldn't mind seeing if there is a richer vein of material in this particular artist.  However, my abiding feeling is that he may be a one trick pony, unfortunately.

Review by Gill Vickers

No comments:

Post a Comment