Tuesday 21 August 2012

Liz Lochhead, 'Make Nothing Happen', Assembly Rooms, Wed 15 Aug 12 reveiw by Rosie Cross, Highlights



Review
I’m a Liz Lochhead fan, tho’ I’ve only seen her once before  - at Swaledale Festival .  I enjoyed this as much as the performance I saw some years ago.  Her words are direct without being aggressive.  She paints a picture and tells a story with sharp, immediate and often very funny accuracy; and  without any of the mannerisms and voice inflections which so many  English poets seems to  have.  I like the way she “talks” the audience into the poem or extract, contextualising  the piece.  I enjoyed the monologues, which Liz explained are the most ‘theatrical’ of her pieces, being the the words of a certain character, which isn’t her.   Yes, we’ve met the old school “friend” who effuses over us, whist gently putting in the knife – and twisting”!   ”Wait ‘til I see Joyce.  She’ll be so fascinated to know I bumped into you…!”

Why is the work suitable or not suitable / ready for rural touring ?
Yes, no set required.  Only a table for books.  Minimal lighting.    Joni Mitchell CD playing at beginning & end.  Liz used a microphone, but I don’t know if it’s necessary in a small venue.
Why would you book them ?  or  Why wouldn’t you book them ?
I will look into it.  I would book her because it’s good, accessible work.   Perhaps the audience needs to be over 45 and receptive to (not overtly) feminist and Scottish opinions and stories.  But this shouldn’t put people off.
Why would it be worth pursuing this company to consider work in the future? Or not  ?
Worth pursuing - yes.  But  I don’t know how frequently she tours South of the Border.   I know she has done Ilkley Lit Fest recently – and Swaledale Festival a few years back.  
I will try and find out more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment