Tuesday 21 August 2012

'The Harmonettes Go into Orbit', Gryphon Venues, Wed 15 Aug 12 . Review by Rosie Cross, Highlights

Review
The music was excellent – very tight .   Ivy (Georgina)’s beautiful solo singing moved me to tears.   But I feel that they haven’t yet got the answer to “how do we fill in the bits between the songs”.  This was presented as a conundrum within the story in the show – and one which I feel  the ensemble hasn’t yet solved.  The acting and direction wasn’t strong enough to support the lovely songs.   I also think that the company could have had more fun with the costumes.  The final dresses when the girls were presenting their show in the Edinburgh Festival of 1950s were lovely and suited the 3 girls  better than the trousers and Marilyn Munroe-type frock of earlier scenes.


Why is the work suitable or not suitable /ready for rural touring ?
For me, not really good enough.  Although Katie (our promoter from Northumberland) who I sat with – thought it could work in her village hall.  I would love to find out if anyone else from a RT scheme went, and what their opinion was.  Aeasily adaptable set (3 screens and a “bar” area with stools).   Café door opening & closing “bell” not absolutely necessary.
Why would you book them ?  or  Why wouldn’t you book them ?
Unsure.   See comment above.   Not quite slick enough. 
Why would it be worth pursuing this company to consider work in the future? Or not  ?
Again I’m unsure.   Not sure about he logistics.   I think at least 2 of them have day jobs.  So they would be restricted to weekend work only.

No comments:

Post a Comment