Monday 22 August 2011

Review : Alzheimers the Musical

Name of company Prospect Productions
Name of show Alzheimers the Musical
Genre Review/cabaret
Venue Gilded Balloon, Teviot
Date 21 August
This Australian based company of three ladies of a certain age treated us to songs, film, visuals and sketches on the theme of growing older.  Yes, there were some funny and poignant moments, and the songs and routines were well executed, but personally I was expecting a little more fun to be extracted from the theme of Alzheimer's which from personal experience I know always throws up some hilarious situations for all concerned.  Some audience involvement, but again, somewhat halfhearted, I felt.
For me, the funniest bit was the filmed piece they showed which ran to a version of Leader of the Pack.
So overall, fun, but slightly disappointing.  I would have preferred them to tackle the subject full on instead of skirting around the edges of it.  I think there could be a much funnier, and more edgy treatment of this theme.  The title is great, there was a packed house, and I believe it has won some awards, but for me it didn’t quite cut it.
Suitable/ready for rural touring yes - cast of three with minimal props etc.
Would you book them – probably not
Would it be worth pursuing this company to consider work in the future Possibly

Any other comments - I am aware that NRTF is exploring the possibility of making links with Australian companies, therefore was interested in seeing this show for that reason.

GV CM Livelincs

No comments:

Post a Comment