Sunday 21 August 2011

David Hughes Dance Productions, Last Orders, posted by @spotonsue

This company is part of  Made in Scotland. It was a 10am gig, which is a bad slot for anything more than a children's show. As I was running to a spreadsheet, I didn't pay attention to the subject matter until I'd sat down in the auditorium. The show is based on the life of a legendary 16th century Socttish cannibal. More 10pm material really than post-breakfast.
However, there was some truly terrific and exciting choreography and the technical dance skill was stunning. Despite that, I failed to be engaged by the horrific subject matter, and struggled to understand where and how the legend fitted in.  Whilst people were  being kidnapped by a human-eating "billy goat gruff" in the highlands,  I was pondering the box of strawberries I'd just bought from the nearby farmer's market and wokring out how to eat them without distracting people.  It therefore didn't work for me as a story with the narrative being lost amongst a string of creative ideas which needed more weeding out. I did laugh out loud at the sudden and unexpected rendition of the disco classic, "yummy yummy, yummy I've got love in my tummy" The company were great, and I would like to watch out for them and their other work.

No comments:

Post a Comment