Saturday 27 August 2011

John Osborne, John Peel's Shed, Underbelly, Tue 23 August

High hopes of this one, but ended up a little underwhelmed. John Osborne is an extremely engaging performer, and the hour past effortlessly. He's a bit of a nut about radio, and this show is a paeon of praise to music radio (apart from Radio One which he clearly has a "thing" about). I was absorbed in his tales while he told them, and occasionally played snatches of the vinyl rejects he'd won in a competion on the John Peel programme in his youth. Was his compulsive addiction to Radio the cause or the result of a series of dead-end jobs ? In the end, it was an hour of John Osborne, I enjoyed his company while it lasted, but I'd have liked more John Peel, and I think that would be the complaint of a typical AOW audience. Having recently booked another "radio head" - Stuart Maconie - you get a much broader range of interests and enthusiasms and it's much more a stand-up show. Costs a lot more too, I would imagine..
Perhaps if I was representing Creative Arts East there might be more mileage, with all the local references. Otherwise, I don't think it would travel well.
Bob of Arts Out West

No comments:

Post a Comment