Friday 26 August 2011

catch up post from Spot On Sue

I did a few reviews whilst in Edinburgh, but timing has meant I'm now back in the office catching up with myself. It seems others have seen the same shows as me, so I will add my comments to the bottom of theirs , rather than repeat myself. Below are my notes on others shows I saw:

Proto-type Theater
Third Person, Bonnie and Clyde(redux)
1hr
16+?

Proto-type are a Manchester/New York -based company who do some excellent work supporting emerging companies. I went along to this to support the company. There seem to be a trend towards shows involving lecture-style engagement with the audience, and use of OHPs. This is one. Its very effective, and is an exploration and analysis tale of Bonnie and Clyde from a human angle, involving film, slide projection and mathematical analysis. They killed 50 people, all men, curiously.

I enjoyed it, it would surprise rural audiences with its style, but anyone expecting a thriller /cop show would be dissapointed. Otherwise, I think many would be drawn in by the engaging discursive style. Some floorwork affected sightlines.

Probably not rural touring, but I liked the company,they're honest and hardworking, and would keep an eye on other work.
for a great trailer:

www.proto-type.org/Proto-type_Theater/Proto-type_Theater.html

Tamasha Theatre Company
Aunty Netta/The Trouble with Asian men
1 hr

This was a comedic double -bill by Asian-led Tamasha theatre. Aunty Netta is an asylum seeker from Ceylon (her words) struggling to keep upbeat in the U of K and learning to be a British citizen. She was joyful,funny,naughty and irreverant too. She shared snacks with us, and told us of her struggles with work, loneliness and making her way. Being a show in Scotland, she related the Scottish SNP to the Tamil tigers, and understood how hard thier struggle for independence could be. Fortunately being led by the great muslim leader Alex Salman ...

The second half, the Trouble with Asian Men was delicious. Two actors spoke back to the audience verbatim, words spoken by real Asian men and women, via mp3 tracks heard through headphones they were wearing. At first I sturggled to see the theatrical impact of this, but there was something very interesting about hearing such a range of voices being relayed. They were joined by comedian Richard Vranch, and his "channelling" of an aged asian mother,worrying for her 40 year son, made her words seem all the more powerful. And funny too.

Suitable for rural touring? maybe. Aunty Netta was a bit rude for some, but technically, both shows were very simple.

http://auntienetta.tamasha.org.uk/

Ten Plagues
the Traverse
1 hour

I spent my own pennies on this, being a bit of a Marc Almond fan. Putting bias to one side,I loved this show. It won a Fringe First and Marc Almond, on stage for an hour, accompanied by a solo pianist, sustains a solo operatic performance about being the survivor of the plague in London in 1665. Written by Marc Ravenhill, I expected something very strong, and hardhitting, but it was accessible and heartwarming.

Combined with the lone voice was video projection, showing a lost lover who succumbed to plague, and broke the protagonist's heart.

It showed to a packed house, with myself and Clive Anderson in the audience.

Suitable for rural touring? I wish. There were only two of them, and apart from some mild gay themes an entirely accessible show,and nothing to offend anyone; (and who is offended by a video image of a topless handsome man these days?) if you like opera, and the plague go for it.


John Clare: How to be a Leader

I was curious about this. A one man presentation exploring Dictators of the past, and common leadership themes. I enjoyed it, but its not suitable for rural touring due to some content. Definitely a late night comedy show.

National Theatre of Wales

The Dark Philosophers

I went to this out of curiosity , to see what was coming from the newest national theatre. A visually stunning show, with an inventive set, I struggled to keep up with the plot, and found the narrative jumping about alot. But I think I was punchdrunk and easily diverted by thoughts of sleep.

phew!!

No comments:

Post a Comment