Thursday 1 September 2011

Greyscale - Tonight Sandy Grierson will Lecture, Dance and Box. Assembly, George Square 22/8/11

Reading the copy for this one-man show, I had no idea what to expect and I’m none the wiser having seen it.  Through a rapid series of slides, Grierson starts out telling the rather fantastic story of his great grandfather Arthur Cravan – who appears in a myriad of identities, timelines,  jobs and countries – its  fairly baffling, intense but intriguing stuff. Grierson’s performance was commanding,  physical and full-on with  lots of sweat and attitude, but from the moment he stripped down to his pants, clambered over the seats and appeared at the rear of the auditorium looking like Christ on the cross, I was lost. The show’s references, concepts and mind stuff left me feeling like he was on a journey and I wasn’t along for the ride. Did the show change track or fall off the rails? - or was I just too thick to stay with it?  the audience certainly seemed to enjoy it.  Running time 1hr

No comments:

Post a Comment